Thursday, February 19, 2009

Giving Me Hell

I remember it clearly. It was a Friday. Friday, February 6, to be exact. I had just woken up from a late night with the roomies and had to be on the bus by seven o’clock. I quickly jumped in the shower, and, to my dismay, couldn’t find any shampoo. I found the conditioner, but there was no shampoo. What good is conditioner without shampoo? Right away I knew that my day was not going to start off well. I got out of the shower and sat there impatiently and waited for the sleepyheads to get up. I looked at the clock and it was almost six o’clock. Amy’s phone went off, and she quickly got up, followed by Marina. I waited for them to get ready and it felt as if I’d already been ready for hours. We went down to the lobby and waited for the boss, Mrs. Shaw, to come down. We headed on out to the bus and were driven to the theater where we would watch other schools perform their plays.
Thespians are a cool, lively bunch of people. As this was my first year at the Thespian Festival, I was really excited about what was to come and the people I was going to meet. We get to the college and sit down in our designated areas. At this point, I’m feeling pretty good, despite my morning’s mishaps. As I’m quietly sitting in my seat, I remember the dreadful cold I had gotten two days earlier. I found it hard to breathe, so I looked in my purse for some medicine. And what did I find? Nothing. For weeks I had been preparing myself for this day just to make sure that I would have everything that I needed. I couldn’t believe that this was happening to me. I vented my anger to Carl, who was sitting on my left, and to Mallory, who was sitting on my right. I knew that my day was not going to be the best when there was no shampoo. It was a foreshadowing.
The first act began, and I was sitting in dreadful, painful misery. I really tried to enjoy myself, but it wasn’t working out. I looked to the front, but my attention kept getting caught on Carl with his noisy, oversized coat and Mallory whose head was practically lying on my shoulder. I leaned to my left and was uncomfortable for the rest of the performance. Hours later, or so it seemed, there was an intermission. I stretched myself out, and, a short while later, the next school began its performance. It was a comedy. I was actually starting to get into it when I heard somebody listening to their loud, obnoxious music.
“How rude,” I thought to myself.
I tried to ignore the music and pay more attention to the play, but it was overwhelming.
“Hard candy?” asked the player on stage.
The music continued to go on.
“What the hell,” said the Eskimo sitting on my left.
“Whoever is doing that should die.”
I look around to see who it could possibly be. It sounds like it’s coming from my left, so I look to the left. The Eskimo hears it coming from his right, so he looks to the right. We are looking all around, and I see this girl sitting in front of me. She looks directly at me with a disgusted look in her eyes. I’m irritated that she would even think that it was me, so I try to play off my exasperation and put my attention back to the play.
“Hope it gives you hell, hope it gives you hell.”
I tapped the Eskimo on his shoulder, and, at that exact moment, I was overcome with fear. I hurriedly reached into my coat pocket to pull out the iPod that I had left there earlier that day. My face grew so hot and I was so embarrassed. The obnoxious music that had been playing was all mine. It had been me the whole time. I felt horrible for distracting everyone that was around me. I felt like a complete idiot. I got laughed at the rest of the day by Carl and Mallory. I’m still embarrassed to this day.

No comments:

Post a Comment